no heating or hot water!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I hope somebody can help me - fed up of paying plumbers!!

My hot water has not worked for ages - I have just got used to using the immersion!

My heating packed in a few months ago and the plumber replaced the motors for hot water and heating. He did inform me that he didn't know how long they would last as something was jammed open (sorry no engineer!) Anyway hot water lasted a few weeks and stopped working again but heating was fine.

Heating has now packed in again so now have neither only this time I don't think it's the motorised valve on the heating (although I do think the hot water one has gone again) because the switch is moving when the heating is switched on.

When switched on nothing happens, the boiler does not fire up and there is no noise to suggest anything else is trying to work!

Any suggestions as to what it might be or do I have to call a plumber?!

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have an "S" plan system with dual motorised valves. Don't get a plumber, get a heating engineer - he or she will sort you out without any problem at all.

It seems you prefer to have half working systems rather than to pay to have it done properly.

You can probably manually open the motor valve with a little lever on it. This will cost you nothing and may give you hot water or heating.

Then you will be able to have a bodge until the next thing goes wrong.

I hope you dont deal with your car the same way!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I did pay to have it fixed but obviously he didn't do a very good job which is why I don't really want to call someone again.

The hot water valve is cream crackered which I will need to replace but the heating one is working fine so no need to do it manually (which I did try just to check). It is obviously something else that is causing the problem - any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back