No hot water all of a sudden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My first post on here hope u can help.

Heating and water system was working until yesterday. The bolier is a Baxi solo 2 and we were just using it for hot water at the moment. we have a potterton timer unit and if i switch the potterton to heat the house the boiler fires up no problems . So I guess the boiler is ok and the problem might be the thermostat on the hot water tank. Yesterday when there was no hot water from the setting set on the potterton I used the emergin heater switch to get hot water which worked ok. However now the water is not hot using this method? Looking at the tank its got a honeywell thermo switch located 1/3 up the tank with the number l641a1039 on it and Im thinking this has gone faulty and not asking for power to heat the water up . My first job was going to replace that and see what happens.The system also has motorised valves I have set them both to man and this made no difference so put back on auto.Can anyone advise anything else first before I start?

Many Thanks
John

Sponsored Links
changing parts at random wont get you very far.

you need to trsck the call ffor heat through the system and find where it stops.

use a multimeter and see if there is 230v to the brown wire of the hot water zone vaove.

as for the immersion, it has either burn out, or overheated.

turn yhe power off and see if the trip has tripped on its thermostat.

Hi Dan

Thanks for the reply..

I was thinking even if i could get hot water via the immergin heater it would be better than nothing. There is zero hot water in the pipes or tank its all stone cold. Im I right saying the immergin heater is only using the themo on the tank? and the heating element which goes into the top of the tank?
therefore using that method is only using the 2 parts to get hot water.

the immersion has its own thermostat inside it.

the one on the side is for the boiler.

no offence, but you might cause more harm that good.... best get a pro in.

Sponsored Links
if the immsersion isnt working, its prob gone pop, or stoppped working because it hasnt been used for so long, or ever.

have you tried opening (both?) zone valves to manual and switching the heating on for half an hour? see if you get hot water then..

well I had second thoughts about calling someone in...Fixed half the problem anyway..still no hot water from heating side but did fix the immersion problem..Turned out to be a wire that had come off the heating element in the top of the water tank. turned off the power and re attached and 10 mins later piping hot water from the immersion heater.. think I will get someone in though to see why the boiler isnt providing hot water..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back