No hot water flow,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother has been installing a new bathroom suite in his house, and as part of the renovations we discovered there was no stop valve on the hot water system, meaning we had to entirely drain the header tank and the cylinder before working on the system.

Its a vented gravity fed hot water system, with a large header tank in the attic and a cylinder in one of the upstairs bedrooms.

I suggested that while it was empty he should fit a stop valve in the outlet of the tank, and he did this.

Now however, the hotwater system seems somewhat broken. The flow to the bathroom is very slow, and the flow to the kitchen is non existant.

I'm not sure if hes somehow introduced an airlock in the cylinder, or if the stop valve is somehow causing the problems

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
did he fit a gate valve or a lever type valve.

gate valve:- make sure it fully open, if so air locked, if you connect hot and cold feeds to washing machine together you can force cold water up to cylinder removing air lock.

lever valve:- will cause slow flow due to smaller opening in ball.

He used a 22mm "Stop Valve" from the JG Speedfit range. Not sure whether this is a gate valve or a lever valve though?

Not sure if his washer has hot/cold feeds, i'll pass that on to him.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back