Hot Water Flow is Slow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am writing for some help and advice after recently installing a bathroom upstairs. I have a 3 bedroom house with a gravity fed header tank in the loft feeding the hot water cylinder positioned upstairs, that then feeds my bathroom upstairs and my downstairs toilet and kitchen.

Problem is that the flow in the bathroom for the hot water is not the greatest, infact its very slow just more then a trickle. However downstairs its no problem. (based on the gravity system)

During my DIY bathroom installation I replaced the bath, moving the 15mm pipes about 1 meter. I replaced the sink to within the same area 15mm pipes. Very little changes to the plumbing really. In my bathroom under the floor boards we have the 22mm supply pipe from the cylinder running along with a 15mm t-off for the Bath and another for the Sink, before heading downstairs.

I have researched the net to find about gate valves/ air locks etc….. here Is what I have done so far.

1. Bleed the system several time
2. Replaced the gate valve between header tank and cylinder (thought it was stuck in partially closed position or perhaps debris within the valve)
3. Connected my washing machine hot and cold feeds and blasted mains pressure up the hot water line to remove the air

I am not sure what angle to go through now to increase the flow/pressure in the bathroom.

FYI - The taps I purchased are a working pressure 0.5 bar to 16 bar - could this be the problem?

Appreciate any advise

Thanks

Sheep

Sponsored Links
0.5 isn't the best as you've probably only got about 0.3 in the bathroom.
You say you have 22mm supply then 15mm t's, is the bath supplies on 15mm t's ?
Is the cold gravity or mains ?

0.5 isn't the best as you've probably only got about 0.3 in the bathroom.
You say you have 22mm supply then 15mm t's, is the bath supplies on 15mm t's ?
Is the cold gravity or mains ?

Hi,

Yes the bath supplies tee off the 22mm supply on to 15mm for both hot and cold feeds.

Cold is on mains and no problem at all, all over the house.

I am thinking perhaps I need a pump to boost the use of the taps then for hot supply in bathroom.

Cheers

15mm isn't no good on the bath hot tap, change it to 22mm.
Colds ok it's mains.

Sponsored Links
15mm isn't no good on the bath hot tap, change it to 22mm.
Colds ok it's mains.

Hi mate, thanks for your reply.

I can look to change the bath but will this improve the sink on another 15mm tee.

I was thinking to install the grundfos upa 15-90n on the outlet side of the water cylinder.

Cheers

That won't improve the basin tap, but i've fitted many 0.5 taps on the same layout as yours and they have been good flow, as in you don't want to be drowned by a basin tap.

That won't improve the basin tap, but i've fitted many 0.5 taps on the same layout as yours and they have been good flow, as in you don't want to be drowned by a basin tap.

Things again for your response, could there be anything else I can try to improve the flow from the 0.5 tap?

Yes but your old taps were probably lower rated pressure ie 0.1 bar.
Going to 0.5 bar and flexis all can restrict flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back