Hot water flow - monobloc taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently helped my son install a new bathroom suite. The flow of hot water from the basin tap is however rather slow. He can live with it, as it is, but it would be nice if we could improve it. The hot water tank is fed from a header tank in the loft which is almost 2 metres above the tap. The literature, which came with the tap, states that it needs at least 0. 1 bar pressure.

The hot water feed from the HW cylinder to the bath is a 22mm pipe. Teed off this, there is 400mm of 15mm pipe, a standard isolating valve and then a 300mm flexy pipe to the monobloc tap. If I changed this set-up to a full-bore isolating valve, a bendable 15mm copper pipe, a 15mm to 10mm adaptor with the final 10mm pipe as short as possible, would there be a significant improvement in the flow?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Peter

Sponsored Links
Quite likely. You are at the very minimum pressure. Check for debris in the connections.

Many thanks for your reply. My son will have to decide whether to live with it as it is or make the changes hoping it makes a real difference.

The flexi is most likely the biggest problem, they often have a very restricted bore. The hose is likely about 8mm bore, and the end fittings are often more like 6mm bore.

Sharp bends, kinks or twists in the flexi can close the bore up even further.

Sometimes changing or removing the aerator (if one is fitted) on the tap outlet can make a bit of difference too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the further thoughts on this topic. Unfortunately my son has been working on his car's plumbing this week-end. A split hose to which access required the removal of the front bumper, the front panel containing the lights plus the radiator. :mad: :mad: However all back in place by Sunday afternoon.

Thanks, Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back