no hot water from cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem - No hot water from cylinder except when using electric immersion heater.
Setup - System corresponds to fully pumped with two way split after pump to a) Drayton Tempus 7 controller controlled valve to rads b) Drayton 2 way tapstat valve on the cylinder inlet with sensor mounted on the bottom of the cylinder
Symptoms - What is baffling is a) The tapstat appears jammed in the closed position (pin down) but the pipe is steaming hot all the way into the cylinder and b) The outlet (manual valve open) is stone cold
Question - If I am getting hot water flowing in but no return flow where is it going? I would prefer minimum interference with the system as it has worked for donkeys, and the tapstat obviously needs replacing but what is with the cylinder?
Ideas would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
The Tapstat should be on the return and not the flow.

I would suspect an air lock in the coil/return

Tapstat is ok on the flow as long as its after open vent connection. Drayton tapstats are prone to siezed pins and best bet is to replace IMO.
Flow is hot only because the flow is restricted to a small flow through stat and has cooled by the time it exits the cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Tapstat is ok on the flow as long as its after open vent connection. Drayton tapstats are prone to siezed pins and best bet is to replace IMO.
Flow is hot only because the flow is restricted to a small flow through stat and has cooled by the time it exits the cylinder.

Yes I noted on the Potterton boiler installation instructions that there is a circuit (b-zone valves) where an 'hw valve' is on the inlet whereas for cicuit (c - thermostatic valves) the thermostatic is on the outlet.
The tapstat is obviously siezed (pin only moves about 1 mm c.f roughly 5mm travel on the adjuster) and the restricted flow explanation obviously makes sense. Also the possibility of an airlock makes sense as we recently had to partially drain the system to replace a radiator as well as that I cannot find an air vent pipe on the hw inlet as shown in the recommended circuits.
As an AGA legacy system this would appear to be a real 'committee camel'
Many thanks, will check the above points
Ausblue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back