no hot water in ensuite shower but everywhere else

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

So one problem after another, I dont ever recall the hot water ever working in the ensuite shower. It currently has a triton mixer shower, the cold water works fine and the stop valve is in the loft. The setup is a cold water tank in the loft, hot water tank in the airing cupboard and gas boiler in the kitchen. With the cold water valve off (this feeds the shower directly) we tried to see if any hot water (any liquid) will come out but no luck.

Now we're tried to trace the pipes and figure out that is wrong as currently we hit a dead end and even thinking no hot water pipe is even attached!

from the airing cupboard, the hot water pipes go down and under the bath tub, picture below.

IMG_2013.jpg

The first 4 from the bottom, i'm guessing are central heating, the next one up not sure, the next one up with the white hot patched going up is the hot water for the bath (next it is the cold water) then the last one not sure. But only the tap basin hot water works, shower no hot water or any water.

Any ideas, all valves are on, I recall when i took the mixer shower unit off, both pipes were dribbling with water. I'll get some more pictures on tuesday.

Sponsored Links
How much higher than the shower Head is the cold water storage tank that feeds the hot water cylinder?

Does any hot water come out when you hold the shower head as low as it will stretch?

Take the shower head off put your hand over the pipe and turn the mixer to the middle to force cold water in to the hot pipe..... don't do this for too long though as it may backfill your tank and cause it to overflow.

the shower head is about 1m or less. But i took the hose connected to the mixer tap off so i can see if any water will come out.

so to answer your 2nd question, no water comes out at all when just the cold water valve off.

Sponsored Links
how do i do this?

bearing in mind, i'm not great with plumbing but with instructions i can follow.

cover the hole on the mixer bar where the shower normally connects to with your hand. Turn the shower on half way between hot and cold. The water from the cold mains will push any air locks out the way in the hot pipework. Don't do it for too long as your header tank will overflow. Caution you may get wet. :D

You say you have hot water to every other hot tap.
you say you had a dribble from hot/cold when mixer removed.
Did you open the valves to check for full flow when mixer was off wall ?

cover the hole on the mixer bar where the shower normally connects to with your hand. Turn the shower on half way between hot and cold. The water from the cold mains will push any air locks out the way in the hot pipework.

Not if the mixers fitted with check valves it won't.

You say you have hot water to every other hot tap.
you say you had a dribble from hot/cold when mixer removed.
Did you open the valves to check for full flow when mixer was off wall ?

i turnt off all the water as there was no label at the time when i was trying to fit my new mixer shower (which i later refunded cos it will expose the current holes). So i put it back to what it was.

I know the cold water works because i turnt it off at the valve in the loft.

The true test I suppose is to take the current mixer shower off and see if i get any fast flowing water from the hot pipe (not turning the hot water on at the boiler of course).

I believe the mixer shower I have is this one: http://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/specifier/mixer-showers/lp-exposed.aspx

I think it has a device which regulates the temp and stops water if its at the limit, but since the hot water is cold, it should still let the water flow?

Its worth a try.. Its more than likely a faulty mixer. But you also have to eliminate the probability of an air lock.

well i'll try the airlock way first, tho not very hopeful.

failing that, i'll dismantle the mixer shower unit and hope that there will be water flowing out of the hot water pipe.

If that fails, i'm at a lost :cry:

If you get flow at both pipes i'd be checking the check valves haven't jammed closed.

Quite common fault. ;)

check valve is in the mixer right? Is it common for the hot water pipe one to jam and the cold side being ok?

I think its best i buy the same one again as the large hole in the wall can only be covered by triron lp.

I'll be happy if i get water flow from both pipes. Will report back tomorrow/tuesday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back