No Hot Water - Intermittent Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an unvented S plan system with 2x 2 port valves. Four weeks ago I stopped receiving hot water which seems to be an intermittent problem. The CH is working fine but the HW valve isn't powering and no HW water is getting to the cylinder coil. I called the plumber who left after checking everything with his multimeter and everything seeming to be working as it should and is wired up correctly. Of course the next day, no hot water.
I'm hesitant getting the plumber back with all the costs involved to check the electrics for what is an annoying intermittent problem. Since the visit, however, I have discovered that if the CH is on and the supply pipe is hot then the HW valve will work as it should. If no CH is on then the HW valve refuses to operate. Because the HW valve has been checked and is good, my view is the problem can only be the cylinder thermostat or the programmer unit as there's nothing else it can be. Just for information, the programme unit appears to work as it should with the timer lights coming on etc.
My question is, should i take a punt and replace the programme unit believing it to be the likely problem? Unfortunately I cannot use a multimeter to check for the problem properly but getting a plumber out to do the whole job will be expensive. For information, my programme unit is a Drayton LP822 and my cylinder thermostat is a Gledhill.

Many thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
It could be the programmer, or it could be the hot water cylinder thermostat, or just a bad connection somewhere.

There's a simple test for the programmer if you are able to do it safely. Move the wire from the programmers terminal 3 and put it in terminal 4 with the wire already there. What this does, is move the hot water connection to the central heating connection. That means that now, the water will come 'on' at the same times as the central heating.

If after doing that, the fault still occurs, then it's not the programmer. If it doesn't occur and all is well it was the programmer at fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back