No Hot Water Pressure Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have no shame in admitting I am a DIY idiot :( , and have a few questions!

I live in a ground floor flat and the cold water and hot water tanks are in a cupboard inside the bathroom. The cold water is raised with the middle of the tank at around head height. I have no idea how many gallons it holds, dimensions (H) 850, (D) 600 & (W) 600. Directly below this is the Hot water tank. The hot water pressure in the flat gets progressively worse from the three current outlets. The highest being the kitchen sink and the lowest being the bath. Out of the three the bath has the most pressure and the kitchen sink the worst, in fact if it got any slow it would be in danger of stopping completely!

Firstly what can be done to resolve this low hot water pressure?

Secondly, I will be getting a new Bathroom soon, and plan to fit a shower (a power shower if possible). Is the above going to cause a real issue with this?

Any help would be much appreciated, and please remember when responding I have no idea what a flange is (seen it mentioned in a few threads)!

Kind regards
Dean

Sponsored Links
images
flange

I am not a plumber or heating engineer, but i bet you cant have a power shower.

I bet the header tank is too small, i may be wrong abiut the shower, but the pic deffinently is a flange

not to be confused with
flan.jpg
which is a flan

Very nice pictures.....not so nice a solution to my problem!

Now comedy hour is over with, and the picture of what looks like puke has been posted!

Can anyone help with some useful advice please :) ?

Kind regards
Dean

The best answer I can think of is to get an unvented hot water system Here is an example. Take your blinkers off though as there are many more manufacturers. Megaflo, Santon, Albion just for starters.
If your mains pressure and flow rates are up to it that will give you the equivalent of a power shower but without the noise. There are pro's and cons to it so do take time to do the research. The installer must be registered to do unvented work and if he happens to be corgi it will be easier for him to self certify the installation [going by the letter I got from corgi today]
No doubt others on here will express their own preferences and if money is an issue then one of those ideas might be the best for you.

Sponsored Links
Craftycatcher said:
Very nice pictures.....not so nice a solution to my problem!

no, but at least you know what a flange is.

It also looks like i am right about the power shower

A flange is quite clearly some kind of alien spacecraft cleverly disguised as a plumbing accessory!

Slug thanks for your suggestion it's appreciated!

I understand from reading the details on this unvented storage system it works alongside the current hot water tank/cold water cistern system......or have I got this totally wrong?

If I decided to get one what sort of size would I be looking to get?, as there seems to be a few different sizes. As I said, I live in a flat, so I am not going to be going through any great deal of hot water in one go. The most at one time would maybe be two 5 to 10 minute showers within half an hour of each other.

Would this system also negate the need for any kind of pump or similar power shower byjust fixing a bath tap mixer and connecting it to the wall in the Bath/Shower?

Kind regards
Dean

Craftycatcher said:
I understand from reading the details on this unvented storage system it works alongside the current hot water tank/cold water cistern system......or have I got this totally wrong?
Totally wrong! it would replace your existing cylinder. You dont state much about your existing system heating and hot water wise so it is difficult for me to say much more until you tell us about your existing system.
If I decided to get one what sort of size would I be looking to get?, as there seems to be a few different sizes. As I said, I live in a flat, so I am not going to be going through any great deal of hot water in one go. The most at one time would maybe be two 5 to 10 minute showers within half an hour of each other.

Manufacturers provide data for this but I would suggest that as an absolute minimum you have 130litres + for gas heated and 170+ litres for electric only heated

Would this system also negate the need for any kind of pump or similar power shower byjust fixing a bath tap mixer and connecting it to the wall in the Bath/Shower?

You would not need or indeed be permitted to fit a pump as it is mains pressure = better than a pump would provide in most cases.

I suggest you get googling to glean more info about this and to familiarise yourself with the different options that best meet your needs Here is what I found when I searched. It should help you understand what choices you have. It is a little out of date as it doesnt mention that all the combi's now fitted should be condensing. I dont want to say much more as I could ramble on about gas appliances and you could be all electric.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back