No Hot water, timer fires boiler but goes out quickly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conventional Housewarmer back boiler with a Randall 102 analog timer controller.
CH works fine through the controller.
However HW does not. In HW mode the timer fires up boiler when twisting through ON but flame goes out within 1 minute and consequently no hot water. About every hour the boiler fires up again for a short period.
I assumed the controller was receiving incorrect info from the tank saying that the tank had hot enough water already and to turn off boiler but for the life of me I cant find a thermostat on the tank.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
thanks for quick reply. will do very shortly and report back.

f+e tank very hard to access but dipped a wooden spoon it in and bone dry! So far filling with about 50 mugs of water as so inaccessible. Should I fill it half way or less?
Might seem a very basic question but shouldn't this be filling with cold water with a floating ball valve? I really cant get near it so cant tell.
Boiler fired and staying on for much longer and far more frequently although still shutting down.
Finally getting hot water at tap!

Sponsored Links
after much contortion I have establishged the ball valve was sticking and have freed it and hopefully it will now work ok.
many thanks. great help.

you would do better to fit a new ball valve.

A new brass one only costs a few pounds. If it is similar to the old one you can usually undo the big nut, and fit the new one to the old stem.

There is a chance the old one might free up if you jiggle it about a bit but it will most likely go wrong again

It is much quicker and easier to fit a new valve than to repair an old one.

If the F&E is in an inconvenient position you might consider relocating it. The plumbing skills required are basic. If you are not fond of plumbing ask friends and neighbours for an experienced local plumber they recommend.

thanks john, good advice.
i am a tenant and I just got fed up with constantly reminding my landlord about the hot water problem so decided to take a look myself as figured it would be something fairly simple.
I suspect any advice I pass onto him will fall on deaf ears.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back