No hot water unless heating is on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm running a conventional potterton Netaheat boiler. The hot water won't warm up unless the heating thermostat clicks on. I flushed my heating about a month ago if it helps. The motorised valves both appear to work as they should.
Is it possible to get air in the hot water system causing the boiler to overheat with only hot water on?

Sponsored Links
HW valve is, more than likely, not opening fully to close the switch or switch is not working

The motorised HW valve turns on an off with the programmer, I have also tried it in manual mode too.

As twgas.

The valve may appear to work on programmer, but may not be moving over far enough to make the micro-switch work, provide power to the orange wire and make the boiler fire. In manual mode its unlikely there will be enough travel to make the micro-switch close. Or the micro-switch itself may have failed.

Sponsored Links
As twgas.

The valve may appear to work on programmer, but may not be moving over far enough to make the micro-switch work, provide power to the orange wire and make the boiler fire. In manual mode its unlikely there will be enough travel to make the micro-switch close. Or the micro-switch itself may have failed.
I'll fit a new valve switch and update. Thanks.

martziniuk";p="3031996 said:
As twgas.

Bang on! The lever never went as far as the new motors lever. Hot water is back working independently again :)

Update:
After I fitted the new motor it worked for 3 months then started to play up. I then fitted a genuine Honeywell motor which worked for a month or so before occasionally giving no hot water. I've found today that if I flick the controller between off and on a few times it will start the boiler. Is the actual valve seizing or is there another problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back