No hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have an AGA in our house which heats the hot water when on. It ran out of oil this week (oops) but I was thinking of turning it off now anyway as we have electric to heat the water when it is off. However, this has not worked since the AGA went off. I replaced the thermostat last year and that worked ok. Would the most obvious problem be that the heating element has broken? Any other things I can do to work out the problem?

I have attached some pictures of the top of the tank in case this helps.

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• 20200621_171740.jpg
    20200621_171740.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200621_171803.jpg
    20200621_171803.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20200621_172039.jpg
    20200621_172039.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200621_172052.jpg
    20200621_172052.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200621_172107.jpg
    20200621_172107.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
One of those wires is shocking :eek: do you have access to a multimeter?

Sponsored Links
would you advise that as the best first step, I can go and buy a multimeter tomorrow
If it was broken is it a fairly easy fix, or would you recommend getting someone with a bit more experience in to sort the wires properly etc?
I'm happy to follow advice and I have done bits before (there is a pump in the system which I changed with help from this community) but know my limits!
Thanks for your helps so far

Do Not use that until the Live wire is cut back and re connected, the insulation has cracked and could be potentially fatal, do not use it

So I've borrowed a multimeter from a neighbour. I got a reading of around 19/20 ohms - which the video suggested is in the normal range? I'm assuming that this just tests the element and not the supply. So could it be that the element is fine, but a rewire and reset might be the best way forward?
Thanks

i also used it to test the thermostat which didn't give a reading. Would this imply the thermostat is broken? would a broken thermostat stop the whole system functioning? At the moment i'm thinking replace the thermostat and sort the dangerous wiring - does this sound a reasonable plan?
Cheers

Also lower the thermostat setting from max to around 55 degree or so. Quite possible overheat has tripped.

i've just noticed when I removed the thermostat to look at length that the reset button had popped up. Does this imply the problem was with the thermostat?

the reset button had popped up

Possibly the AGA had heated the water in the cylinder to a temperature higher than the temperature at which the safety cutout would operate. That would have opened ( disconnected ) the circuit to the immersion heater and "popped" the reset button,

Ah, now that makes sense to me. The AGA made the water incredibly, especially during the warmer weather. So it may have tripped the switch on the thermostat - but functionally this unit will still be ok?
So I popped the button back down, wired it up and it is heating up. So if i sort the dodgy wires then all should be ok?
Is there any way to regulate the tank in relation to the aga heating up?
Thanks all for your input and help. This place is amazing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back