no lintel or bricks above window frame.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I really need some advice if anyone out there can help.

I have a window in the upper floor of my 1974 house. It is the only one that was not replaced by the previous owner. It measures 1.8m width and 1.3m height. I've had three companies quote to replace for a standard window and its from £1200 - £1600. I just can't afford that kind of money with a kid on the way. Its has a metal frame around the windows, and this is fitted to an old wooded frame into the bricks.

I've found the window I want for £400. Looks easy to install and I've stripped the old window to a stage where its easy to identify how to remove it.

My problem is that the existing upper wooded frame does not fit into any brick or lintle. It secures into three roof beams that run 90 degress to the frame. The roof beams run though from my ceiling void area in the loft, out above the flat roof for this room. The roof above this window is a flat roof, approx 1.5m width by 2m. The other half of the rooms ceiling is at an angle from the pitched roof outside. So there is no weight above the window. The existing window frame screws into brick either side and below. Above it screws into these three beams and the plaster board ceiling butts upto the frame. There is an UPVC air vent outside that covers the beams outside.

Is it safe to remove the existing window and frame and fit a UPVC widow where there is no support above. Will it bow?

I've looked around at the several houses similar to mine and they all have UPVC windows fitted and the same area of flat roof, above the window in each bedroom.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Sponsored Links
bobby_la_mesma said:
So there is no weight above the window. The existing window frame screws into brick either side and below. Above it screws into these three beams and the plaster board ceiling butts upto the frame.
Is it safe to remove the existing window and frame and fit a UPVC widow where there is no support above. Will it bow?
If there's no weight above the window, what do you think will make it bow?

Hello

I was just shocked to see no supporting structures. Not knowing how much stress a UPVC window frame can take or how heavy the average roof beam is, it made me wonder if I should be proceeding. This will end up being my childs room and I don't want to hear any crashes in the night

I don't understand. Either you think there's weight above the window, or you think there isn't - which is it?

Sponsored Links
Hello again

My main issue is the fact that there is nothing above the window. Should there be? Is this not uncommon then for a 70's house or flat roof design?

I don't think it is supporting any significant weight, but not being a builder I don't know this for sure.

To be honest I was hoping someone would say "That they've encountered this lack of supporting structure before and to just go ahead". or "Every window must have some sort of support across the top, Do not continue".

Cheers Rob

I works as quantity surveyors for the contractor company. for your case, it must be lintel/window frame for supporting structure. For your information some of the drawing done by architect which have no lintel detail. Some the job accordance what architect intstruct

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back