How do you...replace full wood framed window with dg uPVC unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'm sure this is an obvious one but I just wanted to double check. All. My previous houses have already had uPVC windows installed but our new house has some new uPVC windows and doors but a couple of the original 20 year old wood framed windows which are looking tired. I've attached a picture. I'd like to fit a new uPVC window. Is it just a case of constructively smashing out the existing frame and window and quite simply lifting in the new uPVC frame. I have put in a double glazing panel into a frame before but never the frame into the hole.

Is it a case of measuring brick to brick opening to find measurements for the new window? How is the new window secured in the opening?

Any info appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 156
Sponsored Links
You're pretty close with your description of the job....some original windows were secured by their 'horns' (extended top and bottom horizontal timbers) but yours doesn't appear to be like that.
Give yourself some clearance when ordering the new frame, and double check the size before knocking the old one out!
Pack the new frame as required with plastic packers, and use kosher upvc frame fasteners to secure through the mullions......10mm dia is a popular size.
Sit the new frame on a thick bed of silicone before fixing.
John :)

Remove the opening sash, cover the other glass with lots of masking tape, put some dust sheets down and break out the glass. Saw through the frame half way down the verticals and prise out with one of these:
TEKTON-Wrecking-Bar.jpg

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
I think the usual way to install a nasty toy plastic window is to get one the same size as the hole, put the window in the hole and squirt foam round it.

Cheers
Richard

I think the usual way to install a nasty toy plastic window is to get one the same size as the hole, put the window in the hole and squirt foam round it.

Cheers
Richard

hmmm ... a little bit more to it than that if you want it done right......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back