Advice on Window Frame Measurements Please.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although my house was fully double glazed when I moved in , there is 1 small wooden frame in the upstairs wc. As it is small, I intend to replace it with a upvc frame and fit it myself. I have measured it from brick to brick as per advice on other threads but the only problem I can see is that the height measurement will take into account the old sill. When I order the new frame, do I need to order it minus the thickness of the new upvc sill ?

Any help on this would be much appreciated as I have never fitted a window frame before. :confused:

Sponsored Links
When you order the window make sure you tell them that the total height measurement you give them is " including the cill " and as long as you have measured from the brick/stone at the bottom to the brick/stone at the top you will be ok.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget it is normal to knock off around 10mm from the measurements. This is to allow for any run out in the brickwork, unlike wooden frames you can't plane a bit off to make it fit or level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back