No/Low hot water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced my kitchen tap with a new one - almost like for like taps.
Now, after turning the water back on the hot water trickles out of the tap in the kitchen. I also have no hot water in the bathroom (except the shower!?)
Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
Hello bluff_ugi and welcome. Now I'd hazzard a guess that before you changed the tap, you drained down the hot water, until no more flowed. You've probably now got an air lock in the system.

The easiest way to clear it would be to use mains pressure. If you connect a hose between the hot and cold taps, then turn them both on, it will force cold water into your hot water system, and blast the air out. If you hear glugging during this opperation, you'll know that it's working.

Technically this practice is a breach of regulations, but if you do it quick while no one is looking, you'll probably get away with it. There are other methods, do a search on air lock.

Airlock: I find taking the spout of the kitchen tap... replacing the little screw, putting my hand over the hole and turning the hot and cold taps on (in that order) and off (cold then hot) is enough to get it shifted, easier then the bit of hose imo, and less likely to spray water everywhere.

Did you turn the hot water off separately?

Thanks. I did drain the hot water down until it stopped flowing.

TexMex - I'll try the hose thing. Presumably this will work from my basin taps in my bathroom?

Sponsored Links
yep... just remember to open the hot tap up fully first.

Edit: actually the cold taps in the bathroom may be fed from your tank rather then the mains... in which case, No.

OK - so it will work if I run the hose from the mixer tap in the kitchen (opening the cold tap which is mains fed) and connecting this to the hot tap in the bathroom, being sure to open the hot tap first?

sorry for my ignorance - I just want to make sure I've got it right...

OK - got it sorted.

I closed the spout with my hand (trying not to get too wet) and opened the hot then cold taps...and would you know it, the air lock is gone!

Thanks for all the advice.

And if that doesn't work check the cold water make-up valve to the hot water cylinder is open fully (22mm gate valve?); sometimes these poor little critters are neglected for years, then someone wrings their neck to get them to close, no wonder they fall to bits inside and refuse to open properly - it's a cry for help. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back