No more ring mains from April 1st??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had chat with my father in Law who said there has been changes to the laws in installing new electrics and that ring mains are now not aloud and you can only have 3 double sockets coming off the a single fuse on the RCD. this is to stop people overloading the RCD with spurs etc..

Has anybody heard this? Was it April fools joke?

I have just created a new ring main for my extension which has 6 double sockets and 2 FSU's running off it, is this still ok?

Cheers for you help...

Homer.

Sponsored Links
Just had chat with my father in Law who said there has been changes to the laws in installing new electrics and that ring mains are now not aloud and you can only have 3 double sockets coming off the a single fuse on the RCD. this is to stop people overloading the RCD with spurs etc..
You father in law is pulling your plonker. What have you done to upset him?

Has anybody heard this? Was it April fools joke?
No / Yes

I have just created a new ring main for my extension which has 6 double sockets and 2 FSU's running off it, is this still ok?
Probably, but as you have asked about “changes to the laws”, did you consider Part P: legislation from Hell?

I thought it was Girls Aloud not ring mains aloud? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Well, once upon a time he had this daughter, and she was his beautiful little princess. And then one day....
…she fell madly in love with Helpahomer. Now, no man was ever going to be good enough for Daddy’s little darling, so Daddy said “Homer, did you know that ring circuits are banned?” And then Daddy said, “Homer, did you know the best way to test for live is to grasp that central heating pipe tightly with your left hand, and then…"

Stargazer:- i am doing donkey work for my friend ( qualified sparky ) to wire up, sign off and do all the paperwork with council under "part B"

Ban-all-sheds:- Your just a pro at forums!!

Tim west:- fair comment...

Stargazer:- I knew he was pulling my plonker, but your replies are for my wife, when i tell the father in law to go **** himself...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back