No Mow May

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scientists at the charity PlantLife.org are asking the public to look out for wildflowers and other plants in their lawns as they put their lawnmowers away for a campaign labelled "No Mow May".

The 10 most common plants recorded during the campaign last year were daisies, creeping buttercup, yellow rattle, common bird’s-foot trefoil, field forget-me-not, meadow buttercup, white clover, common mouse-ear, oxeye daisy and dandelion.

Plant campaigners were pleased about the proliferation of yellow rattle on British lawns, as the semi-parasitic plant possesses an unrivalled ability to act as “nature’s lawnmower”, reducing coarser grasses and allowing more delicate wildflowers to flourish.

They said the appearance of common bird’s-foot trefoil on lawns was great news for other wildlife, as it was a rich source of food for 140 insect species.

“With an estimated 23m gardens in the UK, how lawns are tended makes a huge difference to the prospects for wild plants and other wildlife. The simple action of taking the mower out of action for May can deliver big gains for nature, communities and the climate, so we are encouraging all to liberate lawns as never before.”

The charity estimated that Britain’s lawns could be cut as many as 30m times a year under a weekly regime. This would be equivalent to the consumption of 45m litres of petrol, resulting in 80,000 tonnes of annual carbon dioxide emissions – or the combined carbon footprint of about 10,000 average households.

Ian Dunn, the chief executive of Plantlife, said: “The immaculate bright green bowling green lawn with its neat stripes may have historically been the desired garden aesthetic, but increasingly we’re seeing a cultural shift which sees wilder lawns buzzing with bees and butterflies becoming highly valued. A radical shift in attitudes towards lawn management is under way and it is to the benefit of plants, pollinators, people and planet.”

So put away that infernal machine and let nature take its course: kick back with a beer and enjoy your bank holiday weekend.:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
“With an estimated 23m gardens in the UK, how lawns are tended makes a huge difference to the prospects for wild plants and other wildlife. The simple action of taking the mower out of action for May can deliver big gains for nature, communities and the climate, so we are encouraging all to liberate lawns as never before.”

I've only managed two cuts so far, this year, 2023 - the ground has been far too wet to get the tractor out to cut it more often. 2023 began quite dry, then as spring began to appear, plenty of rainfall.

Three cuts so far and one dose of weed & feed applied which should get shot of all the weeds mentioned by the OP. If I don't mow it in May it will be too tall to mow properly by the end of the month. I did get it cut on Wednesday so I should be able to kick back with a cider and enjoy my wet bank holiday weekend. :) If I want to look at wildflowers there are plenty of weed infested patches locally that would fit the bill.

Three cuts so far and one dose of weed & feed applied which should get shot of all the weeds mentioned by the OP. If I don't mow it in May it will be too tall to mow properly by the end of the month. I did get it cut on Wednesday so I should be able to kick back with a cider and enjoy my wet bank holiday weekend. :) If I want to look at wildflowers there are plenty of weed infested patches locally that would fit the bill.
A weed is just a plant in the wrong place.:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I shalln't be mowing in May, it appeals to my instinctual laziness, as well as saving the dolphins, or whatever.
I also have a patch that only gets mown twice a year that I'm pretending is a meadow.

I've only managed two cuts so far, this year, 2023 - the ground has been far too wet to get the tractor out to cut it more often. 2023 began quite dry, then as spring began to appear, plenty of rainfall.
How large is your lawn that you need a tractor to trim it?

The government can subsidise farms to set aside a field or two as a hay meadow, rather than telling people not to cut their grass.

Blup

The government can subsidise farms to set aside a field or two as a hay meadow, rather than telling people not to cut their grass.

Blup
They do.

Make Hay@gov.uk

£37 per hectare - To ensure the continuation, or reintroduction, of haymaking on fields which are, or were, cut for hay each year. It allows a crop of herb-rich hay to be grown and harvested, which will lead to wildflowers and grasses blossoming and setting seed. This will help to conserve many of the plants in the meadow and provide pollen and nectar for bees and other insects.

£37 per hectare, I'm buying a farm

Blup

I only get the dandelions in my lawn, none of the other "delicate wild flowers"

There's nothing delicate about the roots of buttercup...the flowers look pretty but the roots are pure evil.
I made the mistake of allowing them some growing room for a couple of years and they took over a patch of mossy grass that had to be destroyed to get the B-cups out. I keep 'em contained in clumps around the garden now, but make sure to get their runners before they can get their hooks into another patch.

If you stop mowing it then you can enjoy many more dandelions and their seeds will spread to your neighbours lawns to allow them to share the enjoyment. If you stop mowing for long enough you should also get plenty of other lovely weeds which you can also enjoy.

If you stop mowing it then you can enjoy many more dandelions and their seeds will spread to your neighbours lawns to allow them to share the enjoyment. If you stop mowing for long enough you should also get plenty of other lovely weeds which you can also enjoy.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back