No need for a fly lead on this shaver socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing a bathroom refit at the moment and bought a new chrome shaver socket to replace the old plastic one. I pulled the old one off (after isolating the mains) and found it's a metal back box - which isn't surprising as most in our 1996 house are. Would I be right in thinking the bottom screw lug in the box here means I don't need to earth the backbox itself as it's a "fixed" lug so will earth itself via the screws on the new socket?

Seems to be a mixed set of views online where some people will do it regardless and others don't. If it is required I'm guessing the ground connection on the box is in the bottom right corner and I'd need to find somewhere to buy a small fly lead?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230625_120205.jpg
    20230625_120205.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 84
Sponsored Links
The back box is not an exposed-conductive-part and so does not require earthing under the regulations -

but most people like to earth it with a fly lead anyway, just in case.

Bathrooms are particularly prone to damp and condensation so more likely than most to get an insulating layer of rust and corrosion between the screw and the backbox.

Is there a rubber grommet? I can't see it.

Sponsored Links
It's such an easy task, I would just put a fly lead to the earth terminal in the box whilst swapping over from old to new. I don't see any need to change the box - it looks to be in good condition.

I didn't get the email notifications for these replies, apologies but thanks for the replies. No need to change the whole backbox, there's nothing wrong with it as-is.

Bathrooms are particularly prone to damp and condensation so more likely than most to get an insulating layer of rust and corrosion between the screw and the backbox.

Is there a rubber grommet? I can't see it.
Yep there's a rubber grommet around the cable entry point.

There's no need to buy one just use an offcut of wire (hopefully you've got some lying around) and sleeve it suitably.
I'll have to dig around but I don't think I've actually got any offcuts around. Does it need to be a specific diameter?

No. It does not have to be there at all.

Having said that, presumably it should be the same as the circuit CPCs.

Found some spare "2 x 1.0 + 1.0" cable lying around (I believe used for lighting circuits). Looks like ideally that would be + 1.5 to match the circuit, I'll pop to wilko and grab some with some sleeving later. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back