No power ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently posted a query about replacing a bathroom extractor fan and have just got round to doing the job. Before I started, I was testing the existing wires to check which was permanent live/switched etc. but found that there didn't seem to be any power at all.
I was using one of the screwdriver testers with the bulb inside which is working because I tested it on a socket afterwards.

The original fan is connected directly to the electric shower. I know that is against the rules and I will probably have to get an electrician in but I just wondered if anyone could explain why the shower works, but the fan stopped working a few months ago and now there doesnt seem to be any current getting to the connections ?

Sponsored Links
Got one of those but cant find instructions and seem to remember instructions werent very clear anyway so wasnt sure how to use it

Sponsored Links
The original fan is connected directly to the electric shower. I know that is against the rules and I will probably have to get an electrician in but I just wondered if anyone could explain why the shower works, but the fan stopped working a few months ago and now there doesnt seem to be any current getting to the connections ?
If there really is no power getting to the fan (and, as people have said, a neon test screwdriver is not a very reliable way of being sure), are you sure that there is not an isolating switch somewhere (maybe on a wall outside of the bathroom) which has somehow got switched off since the last time the fan was working? If that's not the answer, one can but assume that something has 'happened' to the wiring (or, possibly, any fuse which may be in the circuit) - in which case you would certainly be advised to get an electrician to look at it.

Kind Regards, John.

Thanks John. Think I will let girlfriend get someone with more electrical knowledge to sort it. Glad I didnt trust neon screwdriver otherwise I might be toast now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back