Help desperate fan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Changing an extractor fan today. Thought it was a simple job but now I may need to get a spark in but thought someone coul advise if this would be the best course of action or whetther a simple solution.

Changed fan identifying permanent live which was not needed and fan worked fine. Had a power cut(always getting them here ) so went and had tea and when it came back on went back to carry on tio change the light fitting whic is wired to the fan via a ceiling rose. disconnected old light fitting (downhanger no earth) and used the pull cord to turn on again and the fan stopped working. Took fan off/tested and it is fine. reconnected but still not working. Tested wires to the fan with a screwdriver type tester and the live is ok but the neutral also shows a current. Should this be so ? Why is the fan not working? Could I have distured some wiring in the ceiling rose?

Think I am probably out of my depth now and will probably need a pro
Any suggestion

THANKS

think I am probaly out of my

Sponsored Links
Testing with a neon screwdriver is near worthless, it may be worth checking that the neutral to the fan is properly connected in the ceiling rose, but without at least a multimeter to perform tests, it's hard to say for sure.

Presumably the new light fitting still uses the old ceiling rose and is double insulated, on account of there being no earth connection?

Changed fan identifying permanent live which was not needed and fan worked fine.
OK assuming previous fan had a run on timer which required the permanent live, but the new one only operates when the light is on.

Took fan off/tested and it is fine.
So the fan isn't faulty then

Tested wires to the fan with a screwdriver type tester and the live is ok but the neutral also shows a current.
You mean the neutral shows a voltage (not current) Mains tester screwdrivers are not an accurate science for one reason they use you as a conductor. It is quite likely that the neutral will light registering a voltage as it's connected via other appliances that are switched on to 230 volts. As the fan is working, so you need to trace the cables back and make sure that they are properly connected. It is very easy for example when inserting a wire in a terminal to tighten the screw on the insulation rather than the conductor, especially if it's high up and close to the ceiling so you can't see properly. If that fails a photograph of the wires at the ceiling rose and fan may assist.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. Yes I do have a multimeter but surely as the live to the fan shows a voltage it should work? Will check all connection can only think I disturbed something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back