Timed bathroom Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a fan, which is working, but isn't working how I want it to work.

I'll illustrate the wiring.

3 pole isolator switch outside bathroom. (3pisw).

Taken wiring from bathrrom rose. Neutral, switch live and earth. (there's no permanent live in the ceiling rose)

Taken live from light in the hall.

The fan works fine from the pull cord in the bathroom and comes on with the light in the hall being on, problem is, the light in the hall needs to be on for the fan to work.

I still want to use the permanent live in the hall, but would like the fan to work independent of the light in the hall.

There's no other permanent live anywhere else nearby.

Just to summarise...

switch live, neutral and earth going from ceiling rose in bathroom to the isolator switch.

Permanent live from light in the hall into isolator switch.

Then, permanent live, switch live and neutral to the fan.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
How many sets of wires is there in the (pullcord?) switch? If there is more than one cable, how are they connected?

If it only works when the hall light is on, then that is not a permenant live conductor.

Vince

That is not the way to wire it im afraid my friend. For the bathroom light to work properly, it must have a Live at the switch and a Neutral at the light, normal threeplate wiring, ie not using junction boxes means the switch cable would come from the bathroom light which would have the feed in it. What you have done is potentially dangerous as what is the cable from the hall light wired to the fan isolator in ?? single core from the cable i bet. What you need to do, is to find the junction box that the bathroom switch and the pullcord connect to and run your 3 cores and earth from that, collecting various cores from all over the place to try and make something work is not the way .every cable must have an earth run with it aswell.

Hope this clarifies the situation a bit better

Nick

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies.

There are 2 sets of wires in the pull cord.

2 neutral and 2 earth.

I posted a similar subject on here before, and was told to get the live from somewhere else, and use the neutral, switch live and earth from the ceiling rose.

So basically, I need to find the wires going into the pullcord.

thanks

So you have two reds, two blacks and two earths in the pullcord?
If so are the two blacks joined together in a terminal block?

sparkydude said:
That is not the way to wire it im afraid my friend. For the bathroom light to work properly, it must have a Live at the switch and a Neutral at the light, normal threeplate wiring, ie not using junction boxes means the switch cable would come from the bathroom light which would have the feed in it. What you have done is potentially dangerous as what is the cable from the hall light wired to the fan isolator in ?? single core from the cable i bet. What you need to do, is to find the junction box that the bathroom switch and the pullcord connect to and run your 3 cores and earth from that, collecting various cores from all over the place to try and make something work is not the way .every cable must have an earth run with it aswell.

Hope this clarifies the situation a bit better

Nick

but suppose as spark123 is thinking, it isnt wired as you say, i agree with spark 123, to have no permanent live at the light means it must be at the swicth

Not necessarily, as he has still not given us all the information, he has told us he has two neutrals and two earths at the pullcord, so wheres the lives then eh ???? when we get more information then we can identify whats going on until then we are all just trying to guess. Look at when my reply was posted, he had not even told us how many wires were in the pullcord, so i was just trying to suggest an answer.

If this is the case and he has a feed at the pullcord, then everything for the fan will be there, feed,Neutral, earth and switch live for the light, so the fan could be wired from the pullcord. But we dont know whats there yet so are guessing

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back