Bathroom Extractor Fan, Timer/Humidity Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a quick question regarding the 3 connections I need to make from the ceiling rose to the extract fan in my bathroom. I live in a ground floor flat where my ceiling is concrete (no floor boards to access the light fixtures!).

I have a Manrose XF100H extract fan. I have a bit of mould problem in my home so want the humidity and timer to continue powering the extractor when the light is switched off.

I went to install the extractor but I am a little confused with the wiring.

The manual says I need to make three connections - Live, Neutral and Switched Live (its double insulated and does not require an earth).

I want to run it from the overhead light so I disconnected the ceiling rose which is a combined heater / light type combo and discovered there is only Live, Neutral and Earth connections?

I buzzed out the live connection and it is only live when the Bathroom light is switched on via the pull cord (switched live).

Is it normal to not have a permanent live in the ceiling rose because I read that this is the reccomended way to install the extract fan and without the permanent live connection to the extractor fan I am unable to run the fan when the light is switched off.

I could alternatively run the live from the light switch (pull cord) but this is on the opposite end of the bathroom but this means trunking the length of the bathroom.

Any suggestions would be grateful accepted.

Thank you

Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
Yes, you need to pick up the permanent live from your switch. If your ceiling is concrete, do you have metal conduit running from the switch to the ceiling rose? If so, you may be able to fish a single core cable through the existing conduit run. To make things more complicated, you need a 3-pole isolator (a pull cord one would do) to isolate the fan completely. Is it a 240v fan? You need to know where to site it and you also need to know that its location requires part P notification.

off course - try to feed to live through the conduit... I never thought to do that so I will take a look tomorrow...

Thanks -I'm glad I posted on here now :)

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am just wondering about the isolation required for the bathroom extractor. Does it need to be outside the bathroom or can I put a isolator switch high up (out of reach) next to the extractor fan.

I guess you are going to say outside the bathroom but just wanted to confirm before I start laying truncking across the bathroom. Having a concrete ceiling makes life a bit difficult.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back