No Water !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - This one has done my head in - Conventional system - 1 tank in attic - 2 x 22mm pipes - 1 feeds DHW cylinder 1.5m below other is connected to Cold water feed to bathroom tank also doubles up as expansion tank for hot water cylinder - water in kitchen ok - no hot or cold in bathroom - why ???? - tank is full of water - no blockages in pipework - worked ok until turned off for 2 months all is on top floor of 3 storey flat

Sponsored Links
first thoughts it sounds like you have missed turning on iso valves somewhere the only other thing is an air lock.

try sucking and blowing down the basin tap.

thats my best shot sorry

have disconnected iso's - my first thought stuck - all ok - have tried all airlock scenarios - none in there so far 2 days and nothin - thanks for advice

andyman6 said:
water in kitchen ok - no hot or cold in bathroom
Maybe the water in the kitchen is from the main and the cold feed from the bathroom is from the cold storage tank,if so you may have a airlock.You need to get a water main pressure back up to the hot tap with a hose somehow and force the air out into the tank.If it a bath/shower mixer,I have made a connection on the shower pipe outlet with a garden hose & turn the shower lever to shower position and open up the hot tap with the cold tap shut and turn on the water main on.This way you don't get wet instead of the old method with towel. Don't do it for too long as the water level will overfill out the overflow.Failing that,might be a blockage somewhere

Sponsored Links
tried that one as both kitchen and bathroom have mixers - no joy - is it normal to have 2 connections from header tank ? never seen before - am going to have to resort to new piping would be cheaper in long run - thanks masona :)

100% sounds like an airlock, if you have tried backfilling tank with hose using mains pressure. . If you cut the pipes below the taps would water come out? maybe its the taps. Also if its been turned off OUTSIDE it also happened to me before and it turned out to be the taps it had be puzzled for a few hours..

this may sound crazy but if its a third floor flat some plumber before you MIGHT have made a mess with the pipework. If its a third floor then the cold water rises up and most flats dont even has stop cocks which is crazy when we go out to fit new boilers. Check for more than one stop cock the pipe is proberly been installed by a cowboy and maybe hidden away is a service valve in boxing. sounds like a long shot but it might be a shot. ALWAYS CHECK MIXER TAPS THEY ARE A **** FOR CHOCKING UP WITH CR*P!

All plumbing in flat was done by a Very reputable firm (but looks like it was done by a cowboy) pipes are not fixed to walls. Have disconnected taps, no joy, pipework goes under floor under bath, decided to follow and found 2 more iso's under floor which had been covered up with kitchen units, all is happy now thanks all for advice

Put a vac on the pipe and suck. Of course an aquavac type is best but you will hear if water is coming and be able to move the hose from the tap.

Whatever you do DO NOT PUT VAC ON PIPE AND SUCK

You may hear the water comming, but then again you may not. BANG

Better no water than no pulse......... Under the sink use a piece of hose to connect the two pipes turn on mains and it should blow the airlock out. some mixer taps have two pipes/tubes in the spout so when you put something over it you just cover both outlets.

NEVER TAKE SHORTCUTS, its not worth it.

i used to have a duno gun... them things you pump up then place over a blockage then press it and blasts air thought the waste.. well it looks like a machine gun lol i pumped it up and put a 15 mm elbow in it. and fired it on a field it went so far i couldnt see it. this shows how much power is in one of these things. I dont have it anymore i sold it to a plummber for £120.

anyways i am glad you found the problem. the reason i said service valves hidden is because i found service valve inside a wall. I EVEN have found a gatevalve on pipework slid over so you its not even connected just opened fully and slipped over, i couldnt believe it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back