Noggins & frame vs timber ringbeam..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old & dilapidated gable-roof garage which is corrugated iron over a timber frame. I need to make it weatherproof and insulate it to some degree.

The Timber is of mostly serviceable condition, but the design is quite sparse - there are frames at 1.8 to 2m spacing. This has obviously proven itself fine for corrugated steel, but I want to replace roof and walls with timber, which is obviously heavier.

I could fabricate additional frames to infill the gaps, but this seems to fly in the face of traditional timber construction where walls are constructed first, with continuous timber to act as the wall plate for the roof to sit on.

An additional complication is that I'd prefer not to have to demolish the garage and re-build it. This is supposed to be a temporary renovation.

Any thoughts?

Bad picture attached - this is the 'good' end.

Attachments

• 20180930_103515.jpg
    20180930_103515.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 199
Sponsored Links
At the risk of flying in the teeth of your wishes, you intend to strip all the cladding off and reclad the garage in it's entirety, so what's the problem with just taking the cladding off and then starting from there? TBH as an old structure it's possibly got hidden rot/decay somewhere and I'd wager that it's probably not completely straight/square/plumb in any case. That makes a strip down to the frame to look at the possibilities worthwhile, surely? Depending on what you find then it may be possible to salvage and re-use timbers, but it will be a lot easier to fix extra timbers in once the cladding is off. As to a ringbeam, that's probably going OTT. By all means make-up the sides from several frames (each sized so that you or your team can easily manhandle them) joined together along the top by a single binder, but even that is probably OTT for a small structure such as a garage. Myself I think it would take me less time that way than trying to cobble together some sort of solution inside the existing structure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back