Noise Reduction Help - Triple or Secondary Glazing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, we really want to reduce the noise we get from the main road that our 2 bedrooms overlook, we were thinking about getting secondary glazing, but my husband saw an ad in the paper the other day for triple glazing with Britelite, with 40% off (they probably always say that though!)

I got the quote for the 2 windows today & it would be £1330 - does anyone have any opinions / advice on whether it would be worth it? Or if secondary glazing which is cheaper would be as good? Thanks : )

Sponsored Links
I seem to recall that for noise reduction to be really effective the gap needs to be in excess of 400mm, which is clearly unachievable in most homes ( I think my information came in relation to commercial premises).

In essence I would say the larger the gap the better but standard d/g units will only give minimal sound reduction. It is as much about the quality and accuracy of the fitting as it is about the units themselves. Some cheaper companies/fitters are less worried about gaps around the frames and unless these are properly filled and fitted then they can make matters worse.

Secondary would probaly be halls the price, if you already have double glazing and you put secondary in I don't think you will notice much difference, we fitted triple glazing for a customer a few weeks ago and she seems to think its brilliant

Sponsored Links
I have been doing alot of research into double/triple secondary glazing recently.

I will try to find the link, but I read that triple glazing can actually be worse than double glazing for noise reduction. Especially where low level traffic rumble is concerned. Contrary to what one would think.
I did not see any test results to confirm this, but it suprised me when I read it, which is why I remembered it.

From all that I have read it is purely the airgap (larger the better), and quality of fitting/frame that determines noise reduction.

I have read that secondary glazing is best in this regard, however, if you already have double glazing, the gain may not be worth the cost....

Hello again, did not find the article I read but did find this better and more scientific explanation....which just complicates everything.

It does suggest/support what I read and seems to confirm, that in certain circumstances, triple glazing may be no better.....and possibly worse.....lots of factors involved though.....

http://wielandacoustics.com/images/stories/single_double_or_triple_glazing.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back