Sound proofing - Double or Triple and what type of glass?

1 Mar 2011
Reaction score
West Glamorgan
United Kingdom

We are trying to reduce the noise of traffic in our bedroom (which is next to a busy road)

The window is currently double glazed externally beaded and installed approx 1999 and is not very sound proof at the moment as you can hear the traffic.

We dont want to replace the window for just the sake of it, but we were told by one double glazing supplier that a new double glazed unit with 2 different glass thickness in the unit is better than a triple glazed unit with 3 panes of glass the same thickness?

Is this correct, or would a triple glazed unit with 3 different thickness of glass be the best. It would be going into a 70mm Veka fully scupltured profile if that's of any use?

We dont want secondary glazing as we wont be able to open the windows etc and would rather one new window which is virtually soundproof and a rated

Also do I need to mention that when they install that if there is a gap this is filled with insulation foam, or would they already know this?

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
It is true, but the combined thickness of the 2 panes should match the thickness of the 3 panes. So get the thickest glass they can sensibly supply.
Sponsored Links
most of the external noise is transfered through the frame rather than through the sealed glass units. go for wooden frames instead of pvc. the quality of the installation is just a important. large gaps filled with silicon between the frame and the wall lets quite a bit of noise through...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local