Noise upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We recently moved into a semi detached house that's 100 years old. We are woken up every morning at 5am by the kids next door screaming and banging.

This was bad enough but we can also hear their dad just reading them a bed time story. On further investigation it seems we have got a fireplace in our bedroom that's just been covered with plaster board and when I knock on this it seems that the chimney is hollow which is causing a lot if the problem.

If I get someone in to brick the chimney breast up properly will this reduce the noise by a lot? Also how much am I looking at spending for something like this? We have two chimneys (one in both bedrooms).

We are considering moving as we can't get any sleep so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ignoring any physical issues of the building. If your neighbors are causing constant and on-going nuisance that is affecting your quality of life and/or health, you have legal rights to intervention.

Nice article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theonesh...ou_deal_with_noisy_nei_1.html?postid=80905784

On a technical side. The best way to sound proof is to close up all holes with something solid enough to not vibrate. So, if sound is coming through the fire place, bricking it up would help.

Alternatively, sound resistant plaster board could help, as could expanding foam. BUT if the fire place is in use, you will probably need to contact a pro for any changes to the system, likewise being concerned about the fire rating of anything you use.

Fubar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back