Noisy Alpha 280 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an Alpha 280 boiler about 5 years old it makes a high pitch whine intermittently, If I turn the boiler off it sounds like a dry bearing that’s tight at first I thought it was the motor so fitted a new one its still there after the change have ran the fan by its self and that seems to be ok. If I turn on the hot tap it stops for a bit At the moment I’ve got a cleaning solution going though the system.
A plumber suggested that it may be the diverter valve have stripped and cleaned that but its still there the only thing that did was to stop my problem that I had of my rads heating up when my hot tap was run.
Any suggesting on the boiler would be of great help

Sponsored Links
There are only two significant moving parts, the pump and the fan.

You should be able to determine which by "listening" with a mechanical stethoscope, a simple form of which is a thin stick!

Tony

Tony
Thanks for the advice but I can still not determine if it’s the fan,(new fan £136 +vat) the noise seems to come from the top half of the burner hood and transferred to the fan and surrounding area. I am wondering now if it’s the main heat exchanger above the burners

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back