Noisy back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a glowarm back boiler fitted behind the gas fire in the living room inside the chimney. System is very old looking by the radiatores and thermostat and danfoss Randall timer. there are various settings on the timer i.e heating and water on constant, twice daily, once daily, water on twice daily heating off etc. When the heating and water are on and the heating is switched off by the thermostat the boiler continues to work and the pipes make a load banging noise as if the pipes are rattling. this noise is stopped by turning the thermostat up to swith the heating on or by switching the hot water off. not sure what is going on. local heating engineers keep saying very old system best if I change the whole system to a combi boiler at cost of thousand + pounds . seems a shame if simple solution available and the fact that the boiler is aprox 8 years old and seems in good condition. can anyone explain this and offer a solution.

Sponsored Links
Gravity circuit to hot water cylinder - water is not circulating properly and boiler is overheating :idea: Check the water level in the small heating feed tank in the loft and turn down the thermostat on the boiler - for a start. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back