Noisy combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ravenheat cobi boiler serving 10 radiators throughout the house.The pressure of the boiler is maintained at just about 1bar, however when the hot water is run the system makes a noise like an aircraft landing :cry: Then when the tap is turned off the system makes a loud grinding noise. The boiler is only 6 years old. I have a contract with a well known company to maintain my system annually and as such it is fully serviced, however the engineer says there is nothing wrong with the system. (if this is nothing wrong, then I would not wish to have a system not working correctly) any way is there any help or advice anyone can give to me???

Sponsored Links
I also have a Ravenheat combi boiler and yes it also makes some interesting noises from time to time. But the sound you describe, the grinding, is likely to be related to the pump speed setting. If set too low the pump can make a kind of grinding sound, though it's not really a problem for the system if the pump is set too low scaling up can be accelerated and it can be a little disconcerting to listen to. However, the aircraft sound is quite normal, this seems to happen at steady intervals rather than continually, or at least it does with mine. However if you have recently had it serviced and the engineer is happy, than so far as the boiler is concerned, it should be fine and nothing to worry about.

My wife also worries about the sound it makes, so your not alone :rolleyes:

I also have a Ravenheat boiler that I've had for about 10 years now with a service contract from British Gas from the date of installation. It too makes many strange noises and the pump has a tendency to whirr and reverberate through the pipework system. It would thus appear that noises are part and parcel of the boiler, so may not be anything to worry too much about. :) The boiler has remained relatively faithful all this time but probably needs changing now. However, these Ravenheats do appear to be robust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back