Noisy Glow Worm Ultimate 50FF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently my boiler started to make loud kettling noies. I flushed the system with clean water. The expansion tank was also full of muck so drained and thorougly cleaned it.
I then added X400 to the system. Within a day, there was no noise from the boiler. I left the X400 in for 1 week, then drained the system, and gave it a good flush by shutting the rad valve (next to the drain point) and opening the other valve, so water was flowing across the bottom of the radiators (Downstairs ones). I then refilled the system, and added 1L of X200, and 1L of X100.
Now my boiler bangs as loud as before!
I cannot beleive it is the oxygen in the fresh water, as when I flushed it the first time it was ok.
Could it have flushed some debris into the boiler?
Would it be worth removing the boiler and flushing "on the floor" with a pressure washer?

Sponsored Links
Can't remember if the 50 model has one, but there may be a drainoff on the boiler on the bottom right hand side of the heat exchanger body. If so, and you DIDN'T use it already to flush the boiler itself, try opening it a tad and see what comes out. It's a bit of a stretch expecting larger lumps of crud to flush out of a boiler upwards!

The economics of taking a very-used boiler off the wall, trying to clean it and then putting it back are probably suspect! Better to invest in a new more-efficient boiler, given the work involved. Also, the bracket on the back of the Ultimate can get weak and corroded after a long time. You might find the thing falls off the wall if you disturb it with the pipes undone!

Thanks for the replies. The boiler is only 5 years old in a new house.

The cast iron boiler does have 2 drains, one in each lower corner. It seems strange that after the first flush (With water and X400), it went quiet straight away. It is only after flushing again that the noise returned.

By the way, what is "KAMCo hush" ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back