Noisy pump/pipes when hot water is on - CH quiet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a vented fully pumped hot water/ heating system in a four bedroom two storey house. The header tank is in the loft, a potterton netaheat boiler is fitted downstairs. A grundfos selectric pump, three way valve, hot water storage cylinder all stored in the airing cupboard upstairs. All works well and even though the boiler is old is regularly serviced and works very well.
A month ago I changed some lock shield valves on a number of radiators as they were leaking. I refilled the system and added Corgi System Inhibitor and Corgi Boiler Noise Silencer. I did have problems with airlocks and had to turn off all the rads and open 1 at a time to get rid of the air. That all worked fine and I also balanced the rads and they now all come on and get very hot.
The problem I have is with the water cylinder coil circuit. The CH comes on and makes very little noise. When the hot water switches on I get all sorts of rushing/gurgling noises by the pump. When it first happened I turned the gate valve that is connected to the water heating system near the bottom of the cyclinder to almost shut in the hope that any air would go through the CH circuit. It did send some air to a radiator and I bled that. However I just can't get rid of the noise. It doesn't matter if the CH and HW and on together or just the HW I get the loud whoshing/gurgling noise. If only the CH is on it's pretty quiet. I have tried turning the cylinder stat to max for a few hours and fully opening the gate valve. The cylinder stat in normally set to 65c and the gate valve is about 2 turns open. If I do almost shut the gate valve then the noise is much less but the cylinder does not heat up. I normally leave the pump set to speed 2 or 3.

There is an automatic air vent that is newly fitted and I have also taken the centre screw from the pump to remove any air I could.

I have attached a couple of pictures of the (messy) plumbing in the airing cupboard.

Can anyone help as it's waking me up every morning !!

TIA

Steve

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back