Noisy rad pipes Gas heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I am having a problem with the pipes leading into the radiators, most particularly the second two bedrooms, bathroom and ensuite (all upstairs). The front room rad pipes are fine but I can hear low volume tapping inside the rad. The pipes rattle throughout the duration of heating.
The sound is sometimes a louder bang followed by more frequent lighter bangs/tapping. The rads all heat fine. It's not a deafening noise but annoying. I hear the odd spurt-like rattle in the loft as well occasionally. Maybe that's normal. The pipes and cylinder in the hot press don't normally rattle at all.
The boiler is a gas boiler wall mounted in the kitchen, Mynute 16e.
The resting pressure seems to be between 0.5 and 1 bar and it goes to 1 bar or a bit higher when the heat is on. Would adjusting pressure help. Any ideas how to do this. Someone mentioned a lever in the hot press. I did bleed the rads before winter set in, an odd few had air, particularly the bathroom one. It's a new house and new system (I moved in in July).
Any advice or suggestions. Am afraid I am no expert!
Many thanks! E

Sponsored Links
Hi again

No I havent bled the pump. Am afraid I've no idea how to do this! The manual says something about the resting pressure to be 1 bar but my actual heating works fine on the lower pressure apart from the noises described which is why I haven't touched it. I'm not sure how the rad noises may be cured. Some other posts suggest making bigger holes in the floor where the pipes come up or putting a bit of insulation on them.
The spurt like noise in the loft is a bit hard to explain.
It sounds like a noisy jet of water or ice or grit coming out of a pipe and hitting or falling on something- maybe the tank wall. It doesn't happen much, was just curious. Figured it ties in to when the heating is first put on perhaps.
Any advice much appreciated. Never figured getting first home would be so stressful!
Not sure if this reply is being posted in the right place- bear with me!
E

Sponsored Links
Never figured getting first home would be so stressful!

Not sure if this reply is being posted in the right place- bear with me!

They're all like it. As soon as a house is put up, it's sole aim in life is to fall down. Some do it faster than others. :D

Posting place is good as any.

Bleeding pump! er.. bleeding of the pump might sound better. There is usually a big screw head on the back of the pump. Loosen it to release the air.

Noises in your system sound like air, this needs bleeding from the system, and when you do it, the pressure will drop. Just keep topping up the pressur to around 0.8 bar. This will be adequate for a two storey house.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back