Noisy radiator problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, a small problem I have that is annoying me now. One of the bedroom radiators makes an irritating noise every time the heating is on, especially when first coming on it seems - it sounds like a tapping noise coming from the metal radiator. Tap tap tap every 5 or 10 seconds, that sort of noise. It is a single panel, convector radiator. It has been doing it for a while now, probably a few years to be honest.

The radiator also needs bleeding quite often - but all the others are fine, and this radiator heats up fine as well.

What could be the cause of this?

Thanks for your help

Renee

Sponsored Links
The noise that you are hearing is just the expansion and contraction noises which are quite common when on installation extra room is not given to allow for it.

As for the constant bleeding it could be a build up of hydrogen but without more info on the type of system that you have it is only guesswork.

thanks for replying. The system is open vented - the noise is coming from the radiator, maybe there is something stuck in one of the fins causing this?

Sponsored Links
As your system is open vented it shouldnt be a problem with air trapped in, as it can get out through the vent pipe, although it could be trapped in that one particular radiator, although i wouldnt have thought so. If its just on that radiator, it could just have been the way it was installed and something is blocking say a pipe underneath the floor from expanding at it wants too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back