Noisy taps when closed now

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help me please?

We had a combi boiler fitted 2 weeks ago, we used to have a water tank.

Since then, everytime we use most of our taps, when we close them, there is an annoying surging/thumping kind of noise coming from them and it seems like the pipes too. This didn't happen before.

We asked the company who fitted it and they said it was because we have higher pressure now and our taps are quick quarter turn open and close which doesn't help.

Is there anything I can do to stop this noise from happening?

Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Probably water hammer.

Check for any loose pipework, especially the new pipes as presumably it was not happening previously.
Try stabilising any you find with pipe clips.

More expensive fix - fit a hammer arrestor.

Thanks - I have checked the pipework and all seems secure - I was looking at a shock arrestor, as I have been doing some googling, but will I need 1 for every tap as space is tight

Is the kitchen cold tap quarter turn? That would have almost certainly have been supplied direct from the mains prior to the combi being fitted.
Was hammer present from it prior to the combi being fitted?

Sponsored Links
The kitchen tap is a standard tap that has a washer in, the hot is the same in the kitchen. The noise has only started since the combi was fitted.

Get them back. QT taps are more prone to water hammer, but generally if there's a problem with loose pipework.
If when closing the kitchen cold tap prior to the combi you did NOT get hammer, then it is almost certainly down to their lax attitude towards bracketry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back