Non-condensing boiler, metal lined flue parts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Folks,

I have a C&M (Chaffoteaux & Maury) MX2, non condensing boiler. This was fitted 4 years ago because I was told the location (just under the roof) was not suitable for condensing.

Recently it has been working on and off, so I got a heating engineer in today. He was shocked at what he saw. Apparently the flue which was supposed to be vertical had been stuffed in at a sloping angle (in order to get the flue out of the exisitng hole in the roof from the old boiler) so the adapter that attached the flue to the boiler had come undone and was at an angle only attached to the boiler on one half of the rim, so the flue was efectively open for fumes to vent into the cupboard.

The engineer says 1.) the flue is sloping and this is no good, it must be straight and 2.) the flue is not long enough because the top black coloured end is still inside the loft and outside it only clears the slates by a little.

He says he can straighten the flue so that all the components are aligned with two 45 degree elbows (this may also be enough to extend the flue).

The problem is that because it is a non-condensing boiler the flue elbows must have a metal inner skin because of the high temperatures of the vented gases. Anyway he says he cant find them anywhere, and has recommended I install a new condensing boiler. He is a very competent but older man and tried his usual suppliers but not the internet.

I have had a quick look on ebay and have found two of these (links below). I don't know for sure if they are the right size (there are different sizes right?!), I think the Vokera one is the right size. Anyway Ill have to check with the engineer tomorrow/Monday.

I am reluctant to throw away a boiler that effectively works, just has the flue fitted wrongly.

Any thoughts?

Also I understand that the engineer wants the flue to be straight so that all the parts fit together properly and evenly, but I was wondering if everything is sealed together tightly is there any disadvantage/danger to having an angled/sloping/not totally vertical(!) flue? (my chimneys are all angled inside to come together at one chimney stack and that vents and draws without a problem).

Also does anyone know where these parts (elbows and flue lengths with metal inner skin) are likely to be available?

Ok, I'd welcome any thoughts and advice, thanks very much.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You can't fit another manufactures parts to your boiler.
Although some flues are the same some are not.

Any plumbers merchant should be able to get the parts.
perhaps you should go to one yourself rather than rely on
what your gas engineer is saying. Sounds like he is just after a
boiler install job.

Easy to find a bend for your manufacturer.
I suggest you try a local grahams or other plumbers merchant close
to you.

http://www.bhl.co.uk/product/CHAF_60043430_FLUE_BEND_

Is that the 45 degree elbow that he needs and is it the older one with metal inside?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back