Non-itch (white plastic wool) loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I prefer this as it does not make me cough or irritate the skin and eyes. However it is not stocked at my nearer Homebase (£4.93 per 150mm small roll) and is £11.98 per 200mm 4m small roll at B&Q

Screwfix are £59.25 per 150mm x 8.10m² (big roll)

Much more expensive that the glass fibre or mineral wool stuff, which appears to be on subsidy.

Anyone know a good source?

Sponsored Links
John

I have seen this stuff being promoted and i believe it is being sold at a premium price.

I don't know how sensitive you are, but manufacturers have introduced a replacement material for the nasty yellow stuff which i have found to be irritant-free and selling at the same price as the old.

The Knauff rolls I bought were brown and the material was called Evose.

Best stuff I've ever used for not irritating was the slabs of irish wool i.e. sheeps wool. We even cut some into pillows for sleeping in the van on the way home.
Downside was that when we insulated the roof at Stowe school in Buckinghamshire a few years later they had an infestation of moths and it all ended up being ripped out and replaced with fibre glass (which luckily I didn't have to do :D )

Sponsored Links
The recycled plastic is good stuff if you can get it at a good price.

I completely removed two layers of glass wool (shudders) and replaced it with this stuff. Overall very happy.

Something to note, the stuff gets fluffy quickly and catches on any rough surfaces (as glass whool does), it is somewhat difficult to cut clean straight lines out of. As many other people reccomended I ended up gripping the stuff and ripping it little at a time, with patience the results are not bad but it takes time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back