Non return valve for a kitchen mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just bought a kitchen mixer tap to replace two single taps on my kitchen sink, so it should a straightforward replacement.

However, the instructions mention that I should have non return valves fitted to prevent water backflow. So I went ahead and bought a couple of them. Having looked at the inside, all it is is a thin bit of plastic with a thin spring, and that does not inspire me with confidence. How long would that last?

I've got high water pressure and have a fairly new combi boiler, but no non return valves fitted when installed. So I read a bit about it. I've also read that plumbers don't always fit them. I understand some cold water would go into the hot water pipe, which is what happens with my bath and basin taps, but I just turn the cold water a little and never had a problem, because water comes from the mains supply on both hot and cold. However, if the hot water supply was low (coming from a tank or cylinder) or if I had a pond, then I should consider it. But I'm still a bit confused.

I'm concerned that if the plastic mechanism were to fail or break, that would cause me more problems and it would a real hassle and require quite a bit of work just to replace it. Also, wouldn't it decrease the water pressure?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back