Non-textured frosted glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to order some windows and a door but when I asked for frosted glass the supplier said Plikington had the market tied up so I could only get what they supplied which is textured obscured glass. This to me didn't sound right and got me thinking "is this guy is only selling me what he can get". Looking online i'm finding it hard to locate this type of glass. Basically I want normal double glazing units throughout my house but in the cloakroom and back door I want frosted glass without a texture.

So the questions are:

A) can I get untextured frosted glass in normal double glazed units

B) is it a bad idea

and

C) is £1700 (inc VAT and fitting (windows only)) a lot to pay for the following:

Windows
1800x1200 x 2
600x1050 x 1

Door
UPVC bottom panel with Glass top

I had a quick look on justdoors and they seem to be half the price i'm paying, I imagine two fitters would have these three windows installed within a day so fitting costs can't be much.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Price is right and the guy is more or less right about Pilkington also.

Is it the fact that you want to feel smoothness on the glass? They could turn the obscure pane around so the texture is facing the sealed unit so your side of the glass would feel smooth.

The smoothest textured glass is Contora, but its a heavy obscurity, its small tiny lumps as opposed to Flemish which is big and wavy to the touch, if they turned the pane around it would be fine.

:)

Thanks for the advice, sounds like a good idea. It's good to know I'm not massively over paying. I assume there's a lot of quality difference between various suppliers, my guy obviously said his were much better than the cheap ones you find online or at B&Q but I guess that's part of his sales patter

You could possibly have one layer done with white laminate glass, this is totally smooth, here it is in a loo door I did

Jason

Sponsored Links
Hi Jason,

That looks just the job, nice bathroom as well. Problem is I need the manufacturer to be able to do this at source. Then when the stuff comes and is installed I will get my certificate for building regs.

Thanks anyway.

If your supplier only does Pilkington glass then ask if he can do it in "Optilam" which is the same thing.

My brother has just had something similar done on a fully glazed extension, all the glass panels behind the kitchen units are opaque so you can't see the backs of them. Not sure what make glass as the windows came in from Norway ready glazed

Jason

pilkinton optifloat opal is an etched finish glass. (like sand blasted)
my supplier uses saint gobain glass and supplies etched finish sealed units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back