Normal energy usage what should one expect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Washing machines and tumble driers now often have weight of cloths or humidity detectors plus a whole host of programs, can't really see point of measuring energy used as it would never be the same twice. However most other items one would hope do have a standard energy consumption.

Counter top dish washer setting 2 which is standard used 0.59 kWh per cycle.
Sky+HD box average 15.8 watts.
Samsumg RL60 Fridge/Freezer 308.54 kWh per annum based on a 700 hour test.
Old Fridge/Freezer with known insulation problems 550 kWh per annum.

However although one can look at manufacturers data for things like the Fridge/Freezer so I know my reading was reasonable close to what it should be, with the dish washer I have no idea as to if that is good or bad. I found a small 32 litre freezer was using 254 kWh per annum so looking to replace it with a chest freezer.

But in the main it costs too much to replace things to replace simply because it is using too much power, but it can help when buying and deciding which to keep when one ends up with two, as we have done when moving in with mother to look after her.

But generally there seems to be no info as to what to expect.

Sponsored Links
It is a pain that it shows it in pounds so one has to convert, at 12p per kWh my dishwasher works out at 7.08p per cycle, best they show is 7.21p per cycle. I would not consider my dish washer is really a good one for power use, it dries the dishes so must use more power to those which don't, I then moved to freezers, I have built a java script program to work out fridge and freezer efficiency, using COMMISSION DELEGATED REGULATION to work it out, I bought two new devices, a freezer and fridge/freezer plus I had recorded what other units owned by the family used. We never hit the official figures, not far off, I am sure they are correct, but it seems all the site you link to does is give official figures for a new item.

Can not see the point with a standard kettle, the only time it makes sense to compare running costs is with a kettle which keeps water hot, I have one where you can select the temperature between 40 and 90°C with that type working out costs makes some sense, all down to how much heat is lost to the room. But that type of kettle is not listed.

If one finds for example a satellite box does it's program data update every 20 minutes so the LNB is only powered for 5 minuets per hour, or it uses the internet for data update so does not power the LNB then clearly it would use a lot less power to one which keeps the LNB powered 24/7, it would not really be worth changing because a box uses less power, but if you were going to renew then if a Virgin box uses less power than a Sky box, it may be worth factoring that into the price structure. But getting the info seems impossible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back