Freezer and thermostat fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was a simple test with an energy meter just to note power used. But found power compared with load with motor running showed it was running 24/7.

So either there is a thermostat fault or an insulation fault. I hunted it would seem every local shop for a thermometer but could not find one. Listed with Maplin but out of stock.

Then the brain wave -18°C is freezing point of brine so salt was mixed with a little water and boiled to ensure saturation and then put in the freezer and it froze solid so points to thermostat.

Freezer Model number U50052W and it seems the LEC 35 litre freezer thermostat I assume is 502407000205 at around £16. It looks easy to get to but as to where the sensor runs and how easy that is to get into place I don't know.

For around £15 one can buy a Digital STC-1000 All-Purpose Temperature Controller Thermostat. Rated at 10A but only rated to -10°C. It says in the advert suitable for controlling a freezer. I could build this into a unit with two sockets and a twin socket box with cooling and heating and use it to control the freezer by simply placing senser in the door. This means no need to work on freezer on site simple plug in and would have digital readout of temperature.

It could also be used to brew my beer so if using it with freezer fails it can then use to to brew beer with.

However there may be something similar which will control to -18°C so before buying the STC-1000 worth asking is there a similar device which will work at -18°C.

Update I found the thermostat was a WPF27 E-EX also marked TD-008-EP3104 and internet does show WPF27 thermostats but it would seem there are two types one with a nut holding thread into the hole the other two self tapping screws hold it onto the sheet steel and I need the latter and all adverts were in Chinese.

The WPF-20 looks right but has a shorter 1200mm capillary. I have taken a chance and ordered this only £5.43 so worth taking a chance.

As to the STC-1000 I found the Andoer 200-240V Digital Temperature Controller Thermocouple -40 °C to 120 °C with Sensor part number H9347 very little difference in price and able to work at -32 °C and more important read the temperature so I can use this to measure the freezer temperature after the repair and could even use it to control the freezer if the thermostat ordered fails and once that is done then can be used to control heater for my beer.

The capillary being too short may mean it will record the temperature slightly down the back wall rather than at the top but I would assume must be better than not switching off.

The label has a circuit diagram showing double switches in the thermostat one temperature controlled and one simply switched from new we could not switch of the freezer using the thermostat knob so it would seem faulty from new.

The label has a large stamp on it saying "Graded" I wonder if this freezer was a second in the first place.

Details are LEC Model U50052W Climate class N/ST Gross storage volume 32L serial no 20200278 444441942 wattage/current 50W/0.45A voltage 220-240/50Hz. Energy rating A+.

Actually measured 241V 0.15A 28W PF 0.83

Once the parts arrive and are fitted I will report back. I only found the fault by accident due to playing with a power meter and I wonder how many more freezers have this fault? It would have used 255 kWh/annum and my Samsung fridge/freezer uses 295 kWh/annum measured. The Samsung has a 288 litre fridge and 112 litre freezer so much bigger.

The LEC should use 146 kWh/annum looking at the advert which is rather high considering the Samsung is 3.5 times bigger in freezer alone. OK Samsung is rated as A++ but this A+ rating seems to be a farce?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back