Temperature of freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At long last the replacement thermostat arrived. Bit of a pain as the shaft was not long enough so had to set temperature before bolting in place. However set as low as it will go freezer still at -12°C. Is this really a problem? I checked the other freezer my mother has and that was also high at -16°C but fact is until I got freezers with a digital readout only thing I had to give any indication there may be a fault was if something froze in the fridge.

Tried the same thermostatic controller with digital read out in both my freezers all show -18°C.

I did look up temperatures I found.
Wine Cool 12°C
Fridge 5°C
Chill Compartment (0 Star) 0°C
One star freezer -6°C
Two star -12°C
Three star -18°C

So my mothers freezer is running as a two star instead of 3 star freezer I found a government web site which says that means 1 month rather than 3 month storage time. Years ago frozen food had a star rating marked on it but checked my mothers food last night and nothing.

Original thermostat would not switch off new one said in advert -15 to 21 only cost £3.50 but took 6 weeks to arrive.

The sensing tube goes up into the back of the freezer and for all I know where the sensor is may be -18°C not enough space for second sensor in the same pocket. I used my beer temperature controller which will read -40 to + 120 to check the temperature sensor around centre of freezer. There is no sign of the evaporator in the freezer it must be built into one of the walls it is a very small 32 litre LEC.

Fitting another thermostat may give same result if the sensing tip is very close to the evaporator so not sure if I either can do anything or even if I need to do anything?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back