Not sure whats going on with my shower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've got a Bristan Prism Thermostatic bar shower, pumped from my hot water cylinder.

Water is coming out coldish regardless of thermostat position. There is plenty of hot water in the tank and the hot feed at the back of the mixer gets hot.

I think there might be an air lock as there is an audible noise such as when a radiator needs bleeding.

Any ideas what I should try?
I've found an exploded drawing online but no manual.

I'm not sure what the dome in the middle is for (perhaps it is for bleeding) but on my one there is no obvious way of removing it if indeed that is what it is for.

WEB_IMAGE-1044209-D1.JPG

http://webstore.bristan.com/WebRoot/webstore/Shops/bristan/Products/CS DRAWING-1055404-D1.PDF

Sponsored Links
which side of the valve have you connected the hot to? is the cold pumped as well or is it connected to the mains?.

that dome as you call it is for top or bottom entry for the hose connection.

i'd be checking the filters to the pump first and then the mixer.

Sponsored Links
Have you just installed it, or has it been working and just started doing this ?
(ie-has it ever worked properly)

Hello

Shower has been in place and working fine for at least three years.

Both hot and cold are pumped to it from the same pump. I'll have a butchers at the filters on the back perhaps. I suppose any crud in there could result in turbulant flow accounting for the noise I can hear.

Must be about 10 times over the last three years I've had to take the bath panel off and re silicon it all in the 3 years I've had the house. Ho hum.

Take the handle off the temperature mixing side of the shower mixer and you should be able to adjust the temp setting.
If that gets the temperature back up then order a new thermostatic cartridge from Bristan, when it goes again change the cartridge.

Interesting.

I took the mixer off and there was a little crud in the cold supply but not the hot. Anyway, this made no difference to the temperature problem.

However switching off the pump solves the problem. Hot is hot and cold it cold, faultless.
Turning the pump on makes things too cold, I'm guessing there is some problem with the drive to the hot side.

I will take the pump off later and have a look at it and the filters on the way into it. It is a Salamander RSP50 that I've only had for less than a year after the last one packed up (they seem pretty rubbish to be honest.)
It is still under warranty, are they likely to be a pain if I take the cover off from the hot side impellor to check if it's ok?

There's no unusual noises but I'm definately not getting good flow on the hot side despite plenty of hot water in the cylinder, open valves etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back