notching and drilling for cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am putting a loft conversion in my house and moving a few walls about internally, large sections of the house are being stripped back to the studwork.

The current Distribution board needs replaced, and given that some of the circuits include a mixture of sockets across 2 floors, and sockets and lighting in the loft I thought it might make sense to do a more thorough job of the re wiring.

In order to save a bit of money I will run the new wiring, and then as I'm not Part P certified a local electrical firm will come and make the connections, do the tricky/tecnical bits, test and fit the new distribution board. I have already spoken to them so I'm clear on what I can and can't do.

So to the question, well ok, so the FIRST question; when running cables Building regs state that cables have to be drilled through the centre of joists when running new wiring. I presume it is ok to use existing notches where they exist as 1- I am replacing existing runs, and 2- there is no point making swiss cheese of my joists when there is an existing notch I can use.

Doubtless there will be more questions to follow!

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
In order to save a bit of money I will run the new wiring, and then as I'm not Part P certified a local electrical firm will come and make the connections, do the tricky/tecnical bits, test and fit the new distribution board. I have already spoken to them so I'm clear on what I can and can't do.
Have you cleared this approach with the council? Are they happy with it?

Doubtless there will be more questions to follow!
You need to be careful asking them here - you'll be expecting the firm you engage to issue a certificate, so it's what they think that matters, not what anybody here says you can/should/cannot do.

Hi,
I've had an unofficial chat with a building control officer who recommended the firm I'm using because they are who the council use for testing. As far as Building Control are concerned so long as they have a completion and testing certificate they are happy.

You make a valid point about opinions on her versus what the local firm would want, and I completely agree, it is just that I thought this one was a quick and easy question and didn't want to bother the electrical firm with it, as really they are doing me a favour that saves me an awful lot of money.

The running of circuits isn't complicated, it is getting access to do, ( runnign under floorboards, chasing cables etc), that is time consuming and therefore costly. Also I get to be anally retentive about having switches perfectly level, and lights in alignment! I did a full circuit diagram which the firm have approved, and so they will just fit the new distribution board and do 'the difficult technical bit', and test as they would any other house they had just walked into.

Sooo, does anyone want to offer a quick answer to this one, or do I need to call the electricians?!

Sponsored Links
Oh I do apologise, I managed to miss that reply as I scrolled down.
Thank you both.
Susie

When a cable is installed under floors or above ceilings it must be run so it is not liable to damage by contact with floor or ceiling or fixings.
So cables routed through joist should be at least 50mm from the top or/and bottom of the joist.
If not they should be provided with some form of mechanical protection, that will prevent damage, this can be safe caps, steel conduit or the use of armoured cable.

It is interesting actually as I presumed the drilling through the centre of the joists was to protect the structural integrity of the joist- which is why I didn't want to turn the joists into swiss cheese just because building regs said to drill holes. I haven't come across these protection plates before but they would save me having to drill new holes.
Thank you.

You should be able to get them from most electrical wholesalers, if you have a screwfix nearby, they sell them in packs of 20 for £3.36 per pack.
If holing joist or notching them they too should be done to a regulation size.

Heres a guide
http://www.eastdevon.gov.uk/bc-guidancenote7-notchingofjoists.pdf

but remember the 50mm(ceiling and/or floor) or mechanical protection for cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back