Notching joist to fit shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I found a shower tray to buy, checked the waste and bathroom joist, I have this problem:
The tray has a linear waste, dimension of the assembly under tray is 120mm deep and 350mm long. This waste runs along exactly on a joist , I guess needs a slightly bigger cut probably 140mm deep and 370mm long. Joists are 200mm deep, is this safe/possible as will weaken the joist? It is the first joist running along outside wall. The notch will be 520mm away from one end of the joist, the whole length of joist is 2400mm.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
140mm out of a 200mm joist will dangerously weaken it. Can you shift the shower tray to the side so it runs alongside the joist?

Blup

140mm out of a 200mm joist will dangerously weaken it. Can you shift the shower tray to the side so it runs alongside the joist?

Blup
I don't want to make a false wall and all that so no can't shift the tray.

There is no way to enforce it? How about hardwood timber like plywood screwed to joist over the span? Metal support? Being the first joist, there's not much load on that part if it matters to make life easier.

Sponsored Links
I would trim it off the next joist, with a 2.4m span you'll get away with it.

IMG_20230314_194938521.jpg

Yeah trimmer sounds best option.

prop from below with some wedged 4 x 2.

obviously it transfers all load to next joist - which normally would be doubled up, but as it’s close to the wall maybe ok.

Being the first joist, there's not much load on that part if it matters to make life easier.
The load is from the shower tray and the person in it, so it is significant.

Blup

The load is from the shower tray and the person in it, so it is significant.

Blup
Its all relative, joists are sized to take loads either side of it and since the joist is against the wall it will only be taking half the load it was designed for. Also standard floor design loads equate to 2 adults standing on every square metre of the floor area and unless you are having a party in the bathroom are not likely to be achieved . Trimmer joist fixed to wall and 2nd joist is the way ahead.

I agree, though we don’t know what the construction of the wall is like

Blup

Trimmer joist fixed to wall and 2nd joist is the way ahead.
Space between wall and the first joist being notched is less than 100mm, can't see how it's possible to fix trimmer joist to wall.

Space between wall and the first joist being notched is less than 100mm, can't see how it's possible to fix trimmer joist to wall.
Fix joist hanger to wall after you have cut way the section of the 1st joist you need to move out of the way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back