Novice please help!!! Emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya ive posted a problem in the forum under leaking cistern,if that is the right place to post it, but also have a second query.
Can anyone tell me about my central heating system.
I have warm air heating supplied by a Balmforth boiler. This heats the water too. Ive disconnected the warm air heating side of things, but the water still heats.
In my spare room, in an airing cupboard i have a cylinder and 2 tanks, one big asbestos one that empties and fills when ever i use hot water. I also have a small black tank. Both of these tanks have ball-cocks. Both tanks join to one overflow.
Can i ask what is the purpose of the cylinder if the boiler heats the water, as i never use the immersion?
How do i drain off the small black tank so that i can fix a bad leak with the ball cock, as this is overflowing into the back garden.
I have turned a stop cock to the off position on the side of the black tank to stop it filling and this has stopped the overflow. But what is the purpose of the black tank????

Your immediate help would be more than appreciated.

Cheers

meddy

Sponsored Links
You should ask all the questions under the same thread so that we can read all the aspects involved.

You are now asking the same questions here.

The mod should delete this thread!

Can i ask what is the purpose of the cylinder if the boiler heats the water,

Er... it stores the heated water so that when you open a hot tap you get hot water :LOL:

what is the purpose of the black tank????

It is to fill your heating system and take up expansion.

The water level should be 4 inches high when the water is cold.

Adjust your float to cut off water supply at 4 inches. :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. The black tank is full of water and so is the asbestos one. Do you know how to drain off the water in the black tank?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back