Now, the eco-friendly driving test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Learner drivers will have to show consideration for the environmental impact of their driving under guidelines being issued by the Driving Standards Agency (DSA).

The government-backed agency, which regulates driving tests in the UK, is asking instructors to teach eco-safe driving methods to all pupils. The guidelines are in line with draft European Union legislation which is expected to make environmentally considerate driving a mandatory part of the driving test.

Under the DSA guidelines instructors will be expected to teach awareness of starting the engine without excessive use of the accelerator, using gears efficiently by selecting the highest suitable gear without causing the engine to labour, and using engine braking and cruise control where appropriate. In DSA trials, the techniques were found to cut fuel consumption by an average of 8.5%.
:D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Too bloody right, there are too many people who keep their foot on the accelerator even though they can see the lights have changed to red ahead of them.

Not quite sure about the cruise control, I drive an auto with cruise control and if I have a heavy car and start going up a bit of a hill on the m'way, the cruise control will cause the car to keep turning the overdrive on and off to keep the roadspeed up, but this does not seem to happen when cc is not switched on.

Hmmmmm, when I learned to drive, in 1997, they emphasised driving in a fuel efficient manner. Anticipation of lights, driving in the highest suitable gear, no sudden acceleration, engine braking. The fact is, a 17 year old passes his test, gets behind the wheel on his own and decides to see what that 1-litre baby can do... and that means 2nd gear all the way to 60, got to show who's boss in the Saxo vs. Corsa debate, right? :LOL:

If anything, it is the more experienced drivers who are at fault here, I've never seen anyone over the age of 40 using 5th or 6th gear as often as they should be. Many appear to see it as a "cruising" gear and seem to be allergic to using it at anything less than 70. I also frequently hear "brake pads are cheaper than gearboxes" if I'm making good use of engine braking (e.g. down a hill).

I was also in a hire car driven by an over-40 colleague of mine who was confounded by a six-speed gearbox and couldn't find reverse! That was a fun few minutes in that car park :LOL:

I've experimented and found that my car gets more mpg if I drive at 30mph in 3rd and 40 in 4th than if I drive at 30mph in 4th and 40 in 5th.

Sponsored Links
Back