Numerical illiterates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah...tis worse than I thought, Notty.

There is help from numerical illiterates anonymous, however no-one knows who they really are, but apparently their number is in the phone book...look it up. :D

p.s. Mr/Mrs/Miss/M/s Mod...why was it locked? Bit of harmless banter, no? :eek:

+++++++++++++++++
I temporarily locked it. It is now unlocked.

Mod Rupert
+++++++++++++++++

Ok...thanks Rupert for the swift response :D

May I point out some times we do lock a post while editing
(as mentioned in "c" here )

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid it would have to go under illiterate as the word is innumerate.

I'm not innumerate.

Well, 67/5's of me are not innumerate, anyway...

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
I'm not innumerate.

:LOL: :LOL:

I dont know what the original thread was about but my numerical skills are shocking...if i attempt a sum involved a large group of numbers I feel like im ****ed..

Nothing sinks in whatsoever...well not for a while.

And doing the most basic of sums say 93-38 im done for I cant imagine the numbers in my head at all

:oops:

Still we all have our faults I spose :rolleyes:

Eddie M said:
I'm afraid it would have to go under illiterate as the word is innumerate.

Ah...that's the very word I was looking for, but couldn't for the life of me remember...unfortunately, I'm neither, but I do have this condition called Alz.....now what was it called again....what topic am I posting on...where am I?

Left school in the 70's and didn't use maths for years. Forgot all about number crunching and then started college on a sparkies course. When the lecturer told us to buy a scientific calculator and what it did - BOY! was I lost for words! :oops: This thing was a computer when I was at school - anyway managed to get there in the end and no worries now!!! :D

All a question of levels of numeracy, I think I've alluded before that most jobs do not require a high degree of numeracy, by this I mean most jobs or indeed tasks in life do not require much more than and understading of simple arithmetic, fractions, percentages, units of mass volume etc and perhaps basic trigonometry.

Now I reckon I was OK at maths, but in a previous incarnation I worked for an investment bank, they employ people called quants (quantitative analysts) who create the models for things like fixed income derivatives and the like, to say that what they did went over my head would be understatment of the year. Mind you on the up side most what "we" would call normal social interaction went way over their heads!

Seems unfair really, all that money and no idea what to do with it, and no-one to do it with :LOL: (the quants that is not me)

Zampa said:
securespark said:
I'm not innumerate.

:LOL: :LOL:

I dont know what the original thread was about but my numerical skills are shocking...if i attempt a sum involved a large group of numbers I feel like im p****d..

Nothing sinks in whatsoever...well not for a while.

And doing the most basic of sums say 93-38 im done for I cant imagine the numbers in my head at all

:oops:

Still we all have our faults I spose :rolleyes:
know what you mean Zampa .still I made it as a plumber ;) Pipefitting with that 4 inch iron might have been a bugger tho. :oops:

Some sadistic bar stewards tried teaching me algebra et al at school and I hated maths. It wasn't until I left and started playing regular darts for local pubs that I really found numbers easy. There's a lesson there somewhere!

Sponsored Links
Back