Numerous boiler resets in last few days

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Not sure if boiler model as can’t see any labels but look like attached photos.

About 3 months ago is when the issue started.

I could be in the shower & after a few minutes the water in cold. Having to get out covered in soap & press the reset button.

I then started to use the bath but noticed the same issue.

British Gas came out & changed a part & said all fixed.

It’s now done it a few times since & each time I get British Gas out as I have a plan with them.

To me it seems that if you demand more hot water or turn the tap full on the boiler can’t cope so trips if that’s the correct word.

The last visit they changed the heat exchanger & explained why.

To be honest they don’t see to fault find but arrive & just say Oh that’s the heat exchanger etc & replace it.

So it tripped twice Friday, Am using shower & Pm running a bath.

Now today Sunday I’m running the bath just using the hot tap. I felt under the tap & it was cold. Looked at boiler & red reset light flashing again.

I was able to get straight in the bath no problem.

Anybody have any ideas on this as I’m getting fed up now with having to keep reseting it & staying on for British Gas to arrive.

The blue light does flash but not sure if it’s a code as I’m not sure how to read it.

Attachments

• BF03D19C-E1B4-4EC3-94C6-57913185E1E5.jpeg
    BF03D19C-E1B4-4EC3-94C6-57913185E1E5.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 2F03FB0B-7BFF-40FD-B791-77D534AC258F.jpeg
    2F03FB0B-7BFF-40FD-B791-77D534AC258F.jpeg
    535.3 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
If it’s the same then it’s a Worcester 24i junior. The blue light will either fast flash or slow flash for a number of seconds. Do you know which heat exchanger was replaced?

Not having anything to compare it with I would say slow.

I didn’t watch him change it but when looking up from underneath I would say it’s about 10 inches long and probably flat at the back by the wall.

Make sense ?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Not having anything to compare it with I would say slow.

I didn’t watch him change it but when looking up from underneath I would say it’s about 10 inches long and probably flat at the back by the wall.

Make sense ?
That’s the plate heat exchanger. Can be numerous faults and needs to be found. It’s no good just chucking parts at it. Had any work carried out recently? Could the gas emergency control valve have been knocked?

Sponsored Links
Only time they’ve been here is for this issue.
Don’t do any fault finding just tell you what it is & change a part probably just want to get to next job.
Only then to come out again 2 weeks later.

I notice if I have hit tap on fast in shower or Bath it does happen but should have to turn it down to slower just so I don’t have to reset it.

• Thanks
Well, that explains it’s a circulation issue, so could be pump, main heat exchanger, plate heat exchanger (but replaced so unlikely), et al.

B Gas came out yesterday & did a few tests. Told it was the pump & had one on the van so it was changed.
Sink in kitchen was used to run hot water but after say 2 minutes tripped which was the original fault.

He can back this morning & had a big silver cylindrical part, must of been say 16 inches high.

Seems to be ok & no resets.

• Thanks
Sounds like the main heat exchanger - expensive part if it was.

Looked like a silver fire extinguisher.

Popped the lid off & there were lots of fins of which I expect the water passes through.

Like this? Water flows around the outside part of the middle, and heat is transferred from the middle where the burner sits

Attachments

• 1706816328992.jpeg
    1706816328992.jpeg
    4 KB · Views: 16
That’s it.
Once the top was off he pulled out a small round part with as a little chimney.

Also a rubber gasket with 3 what looked like spark plugs so I assume some kind of ignition system.

What’s the cost of the part ?

Also pump cost ?

Only rough as curious.

Parts can vary, and no doubt BG will get them cheaper, but approx £480 heat exchanger and £150-200 for the pump. Electrode kit probably another £30.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back